Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bevohoka aho!

This phrase, in Malagasy, means, "My womb is full!" Or more simply put: "I'm pregnant!” But I think I’ve only said it a couple of times in my five months of pregnancy. In this country, it’s not considered appropriate to announce your pregnancy to any and everyone. The traditional Malagasy worry about witches cursing their unborn children. So you just wait until it “shows” for the word to spread. For me, that’s only been in the last couple of weeks! And still no one asks if I’m pregnant. Instead, they comment on my growing stomach or congratulate us on the “vahiny” (visitor) that is coming. In a culture where children are greatly prized and complete strangers ask how many children you have and are shocked if you say you don’t have any, there is such joy in pregnancy yet it’s somehow commonplace. No doubt when walking down the street here, you’ll meet at least five pregnant women in walking just a couple of kilometers.

I’ve enjoyed hearing the Malagasy perspective on pregnancy and childbirth. For example, sour things are to be eaten to help with morning sickness. You shouldn’t wear pants when pregnant as it can hurt the baby. After giving birth, you must keep warm, wearing as many clothes as you can, even if it is nearly 100 degrees! In order for the breast milk to come in, you should boil a certain kind of tiny little fish (called patsa) and drink the water. They say it’s filled with calcium and vitamins.

I’m sure I’ll gain even more insight from the Malagasy when we return with the baby in January. While I don’t believe all of these “words of wisdom,” I must admit they are doing something right! With the number of children, babies, and pregnant women around…this is the perfect testing ground for any new theory in child development!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

It's so funny to hear about other cultures and their "wive's tales." Let me tell you that your milk will come in even if you don't drink some kind of fish water. It's happened to me...twice! Just wait until you get back in the states. Everyone here has their opinion and I'm sure they will share those with you. My mom always says to listen politely and then "do as you please."